So you bought some cabbage, and are tired of making ‘swallow’ with it?
Don’t worry, help is at hand. This modified asian recipe shows how you can make a great stir fry using your cabbage and some simple ingredients to whip up a great, filling meal in 30 minutes or less. Here we go:-
- 1 medium green cabbage
- 150g butter
- 1/2 kg chicken pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon chopped chilli pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Shred the cabbage into small, bite-friendly pieces using a sharp knife
- Using the butter, fry the cabbage in a large frying pan or wok on medium heat. It might take a while for the cabbage to soften, but don’t let it turn brown.
- Add the spices and the vinegar. Stir and fry for a couple of minutes more. Put the cabbage in a bowl.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the same frying pan. Add garlic, chopped chilli and ginger and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add chicken or prawns and brown until the meat is thoroughly cooked and most of the juices have evaporated. Lower the heat a little.
- Re-add the cabbage, as well as some salt and pepper to taste. Finally, add the sesame oil before serving.