If you are reading this, you are probably aware of all the wonderful things you can do with coconut oil. You might be a regular purchaser of the product, not realising that it is actually possible to extract your own coconut oil at home.
You might be surprised to learn that you don’t need any special equipment to extract your own coconut oil at home. Here’s a list of what you need:-
– Mature coconuts
- Break the coconut and set aside the coconut water
- Scrape the coconut meat from the shell using a knife.
- Add water to the coconut meat and blend in a food processor
- Sieve the watery mixture using a cheesecloth or fine sieve. You should be left with some coconut milk.
- Put the coconut milk in the refrigerator for around 24 hours to allow the oil separate from the milk and float to the top.
- Remove any coconut solids from the top. The oil will be colourless, thick liquid on top. Scoop out and enjoy.