This is a healthy alternative to the regular yam dish (porridge) prepared with silky and sweet butternut squash. It is lower in calories, sugar and carbs and is therefore suitable for a keto diet. The recipe is also so simple and easy.
3 Tbsp. Palm oil
1 Cayenne pepper
½ Red bell pepper
½ Red Onion
1 Medium Butternut squash
Salt and Seasoning
1 cup prawns
1 Smoked fish
150g green vegetable (of choice)
- Peel, seed and slice your butternut squash into 1 inch cubes. This is the most tasking part of this recipe and I hope this guide helps.
- Add about 3tbsp of palm oil to a pot on fire
- When the oil is hot, add your fresh chopped pepper and onions . Fry for 2 minutes
- Now add ½ cup of water to stop the frying process
- Add your chunks of Butternut squash and stir pot contents thoroughly
- Add another ½ cup of water
- Add seasoning, salt and half of the ground crayfish
- Stir thoroughly and cover pot
- Cook for 10 minutes on low to medium heat
- Keep checking food to avoid burning and add water a little at a time if required.
- After 10 minutes, add the fresh prawns and smoked fish fillets.
- Add blanched and squeezed green leaves of choice and stir thoroughly.
- Cover pot and cook for a further 2 minutes, still on low heat.
- Serve dish immediately.
- If leaving to stand, leave pot cover off until food has cooled.