Bulletproof (butter) coffee is brewed coffee blended with butter and something called MCT oil (medium chain triglycerides) which comprises of the fat from coconut/palm kernel oil. Separately these ingredients – coffee, butter and oil – don’t exactly make a balanced breakfast. But together they are the three components you need to make Bulletproof coffee, an energy-igniting beverage.
It is a tasty way to get quality fats into your diet, especially if you are on a ketogenic diet and avoiding carbs and protein in the morning to help normalize insulin and blood sugar.
What does bulletproof coffee do?
When you load your body with fat and calories first thing in the morning, you are programming your body to start the process of using fat for energy all day. Recent research shows that what you eat in the morning programs your metabolism to run on that fuel for the rest of the day. Hence, bulletproof coffee aids the state of ketosis. Your mind will get alert and your body will feel charged up for a long time. In other words it can be used as a replacement for breakfast.
- 2 cups of coffee.
- 2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter.
- 1-2 tablespoons of MCT oil (or coconut oil).
- Brew the coffee. This can be espresso, drip, french press, etc.
- Pour hot water into your blender while your coffee is brewing to pre-heat it.
- Empty the hot water from the (now preheated) blender. Add your coffee, butter, and MCT (or coconut oil).
- Blend until there is a thick layer of foam on top like a latte. You can also use a hand held blender – they are inexpensive and work great.